Tuesday 28 February 2012

Tutorial - Jonny

Sketch of my Pointless Poster 
For the final image see next post.

I was glad to see how positive Jonny was for my self promotion idea. It was a nice little pick up that keep me smiling for the rest of the day. I began my research for my FMP today. I started out by doing some research for the WAR poster. Looking for different iconic images or objects which I feel that I could use to represent war without using words.

The first thing I stumbled across when I put in war in google was the list of the worlds 10 most bloody conflicts.
 wikipedia.org - war

Looking at this and from my memory of doing history, I felt that instead of taking the whole concept of war throughout the ages, I would focus on more modern ones. This was partly because the topic of war would have been too broad to do in just 1 poster, and that most people (including myself) would be more familiar with the modern conflicts. I began by searching through the internet for iconic images I associated with war. For example:

Lord Kitcheners iconic I want you poster, I chose this because it is an image recognizable by almost everyone, as it has a been referenced a lot in popular culture in the last few years.
www.iwmshop.org.uk

or Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima. I chose this one as it is one of the most memorable and most published pictures that came out of the Second World War.
buffalopost.net

These were but two examples of the images I compiled, the rest I will write down as a list to save memory.

The Hiroshima Atomic Bomb, it being the first time an atomic bomb was ever actively used as a weapon.

Raising a flag over the Reichstag, the iconic image of a soviet flag being raised over German parliament nearing the end of World War II


The Fat Man atom bomb, the first military grade atom bomb, and iconically remembered in popular culture.

The Cenotaph London Whitehall, as I am in England I felt that I should have Brtiain's most famous war memorial (specifically modern war though).

The clenched revolutionary fist, a popular symbol of opposition and often connected with communist uprisings in South American and Africa.

An image of Coalition tanks driving through the Swords of Qādisīyah، and Hands of Victory. a symbol of Coalition victory against Saddam Hussein.


I chose not to include the September 11, 2001 attack on the world trade center, as I did not want the poster to have the connotation of terrorism, but rather just that of war. I suspect that if I were to add this image people would think of war, see the picture of the world trade center and then suggest terrorism.

Image of a Bell Huey helicopter dropping down troops in the Vietnam war, where it became one of the worlds most recognized flying machines.

These were the images I selected and that I will incorporate into the poster. All need to do now is create a few sketches and once that is done I can start drawing them down on drafting film.

I found doing the research rather tedious, as I would rather put pen to paper... eh plastic and get cracking, but since this is my FMP I have to be sure that I know what I am drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment