Thursday 9 February 2012

Of Printing and T-shirts

I spent the day in the print room, trying to print some t-shirts for our Bargate show. Not only was it to create some merchandise for us to try and raise some money, it was also a good chance to do some t-shirt printing.  Something I have always wanted to try, but not really had access to, as it is only allowed if it is directly related to the course. The technician keeps telling a story of an old student printing t-shirts there and selling them on, and due to a typo, they were returned with the customer wanting money back from the university. Though I am a bit skeptical of this story, I do not see why we are not allowed to print 1 or 2 t-shirts, its not like I am going to be mass producing them. I just want to test the ink on the t-shirts and how accurate the prints will come out.
Above images taken of my t-shirt design as seen in the university print room.

 Above images taken from my old PD

My main concern regarding the t-shirts is whether the ink will survive a trip through the washing machine.. that remains to be seen. However this has been good practice in terms of preparing for our degree show, in the sense that not only is there the finished work, you also have to consider extras. Such as business cards and paraphernalia to sell and give away. I do not think I will make any more t-shirts as the prints came out quite inaccurate, and that only very rough designs would work. Strictly speaking though this will not be relevant to my FMP, as I cannot see the relevance of print t-shirts for it... I may surprise myself as I still have no clear idea of what I am going to do for it yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment