Monday 13 February 2012

Bargate Exhibition

Today we all met up at 10:00 at the Bargate Monument Gallery with our work ready for hanging. The actual hanging of my work was very simple, after being assigned a space it was a simple matter of measuring up some nails and then attaching the picture with bulldog clips. I did not really see what the reason for me being there at 10:00 was as it only took 20 minutes or so for me to be done.
We are hoping for a good turnout this week while we are open, as we have circulated posters all across campus and the student dorms.We have not had good turnout to our events in the past, even today quite a few students from our course were missing, but since this is an actual exhibition I think we should be able to pull in quite a few people off the street (especially when we hit the weekend).
The poster circulated, created by Kelvin of our course.
As I say it did not take long for me to hang up my work, however I along with course mate Lucy were put in charge of setting up the shop. Where hopefully we would be able to sell quite a few artifacts, aw we are only raising money from the shop and the bar (though only on the private view) that would be our main source of income. Why we decided not to charge for drink I will never know, people might donate 20p when getting a beer, but if we sold them for a pound we would have made so much more money. The people invited for the private view are all friends and family after all, its not like they wont be staying for a drink anyway. Lucy and I spent most of the day running around town picking up small decorations and odd tidbits to decorate the shop. Setting up the shop itself was fun, and despite the low turnout for set up, there was a good atmosphere while all the work was going on. By the end of the day I was impressed by the speed in which it was all put together. Though there were some minor issues we hope will not present themselves at the degree show itself (such as the one and only toilet over flooding and being unusable), and extra time to refine certain things. There were other lessons to pick up for our degree show: such as what kind of hanging techniques to avoid (bulldog clips are not very elegant if you ask me) and the importance of contrast when hanging different work.

This gave me a clearer idea of what I can expect come degree show time and what to begin planning for. We will be given a space somewhere in our studios (we have been told faux walls will be erected to give more hanging space) and be allowed to more or less do with what we want, though we are not clear on when we will be told all this. One of the main lessons I took to heart is to not use bulldog clips to hang my work. Though effective, I find them quite crude and not very appealing to the eye. One of the tutors was talking about using magnets, that is certainly something to consider, as it would be easy to use and leave the images free from any damage once taken down. Below are some photos of the Bargate gallery as we are setting it up.


Scans from my old PD book
The private view went well. It was freezing in there, as the heating doesn't seem to be working, and the bargate being an old drafty building didn't help. I will remember to bring warm clothes when I am doing my shift watching the show. I can imagine that getting a bit boring, but oh well if it gets slow I will bring a book or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment