Wednesday 15 February 2012

Guest - Paul Osborne

Today we had our life drawing tutor Paul Osborne (site) give a talk about his experience as an artist after graduation university. Unfortunately I could not find a single image of him anywhere... but oh well chances are that the tutor reading this (yes you) will know him.

scan of my old PD, and sketchbook

He showed us extensive sketches which formed the book "Pilgrimage : An Artist's Journey from Mount Athos to Tibet" (see cover below)
 
amazon.co.uk - Pilgrimage

Though interesting Paul's speech served for myself mainly to consider what I might want to do after I finish my degree. Such as whether I want to do a bit of traveling and get some world experience. I do hope to get a job after university or study for another year to get a masters.  He put some perspective on the illustration world 20-30 years ago and how it has severely changed now, mainly concerning the implementation of digital programs, such as Photoshop. I have found that illustration seems to be less focused on actual drawing or print skill, but more on conceptual creativity. I find this very strange, there is something to be said about the new ways of trying to develop your own style, but at the same time I feel that years ago you were given better tools to practice the trade. Paul also went on to explain how many of the old traditional jobs such as in house illustrators have become obsolete, giving us perhaps a harsh reminder that its a tough world we are going to go out in once we are done with education. That art directors have such a choice of artists these days that the competition has increased, making it harder for us to get into the market. The talk was a nice break from the routine of coursework and FMP but I did not find it very useful for the project itself. Afterwards Paul held an open lifedrawing session, to which I went. However while waiting for it to start I go a phone call from my dad. The strange thing being that my parents had showed up in England unannounced, wanting to see me.

The rest of the day I spent with my parents catching up, and showing them the Bargate Exhibition. I was staggered that they actually showed up without any warning. It was also quite lucky that they arrived when I was not in a lecture or it was my turn to keep any eye on the exhibition. I gave me a nice break from University work and a good way to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment