Wednesday 1 February 2012

Negotiated Study

As we were told yesterday to create a mock Presentation Document from our old project, titled "Negotiated Study". A project in which we were asked to create a body of work based on our experience in the last 2 years of studying here. I decided to create a series of posters advertising a new Sherlock Holmes museum, celebrating a fictional 150th anniversary of the character. The following images are all taken from my original presentation document in book form (as scans) and both detail and explain the project in brief.



           I quickly picked the topic of Sherlock Holmes because of some audio books by sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It was also a topic I felt would have sufficient material to last for many weeks. When I ran the idea by Jonny he suggested that perhaps I could use the idea of a fictional museum  celebration the 150th anniversary of Sherlock Holmes. I knew from the start that I wanted to use screenprints as my main medium. This was because I created a poster for the Christmas shop last year and found that I enjoyed it immensely, that and I figured that I would not be able to practice screen printing once this year ends.




When doing this project I realized that I enjoy screen printing, and that due to the fact I probably wont be able to do that after university, I would like to use that as my medium for my Final Major Project.  I also learned the importance of leaving things to the last minute, which is largely why my final pieces look a bit underdeveloped. The main comment of the tutors was that a third layer would really have made it a lot more powerful. I am a bit apprehensive about doing screenprints, because in order to do so (at least for A1 size) because drawing on drafting film requires me to go over the lines a minimum of twice, three times for the thin lines. Which translates to a lot more work just in order to get the screen to work. Though it was a tiring project I did enjoy the creation of the project and the moment of gratification when the prints were all done and lined up next to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment