Friday 10 February 2012

Guest - Bruce Ingman

Today we had a guest speaker Bruce Ingman come in to talk to us about his book: The Pencil.
http://www.walker.co.uk - Bruce Ingman

He spoke to us about his work on a book called "the pencil", a childrens book about a pencil that gains life of its own and runs off to draw a whole new world. But then gets overworked because too many people have requests for it. It solves its problem by drawing an eraser which removes everything again, and they live happily ever after.













www.google.co.uk - the pencil






blogspot.com -  the pencil sketch

It was interesting to hear how he worked as an illustrator, and particularly how his children have played part in his more recent work. Having said that I was very impatient to go home and rework one of my Negotiated Study pieces which is going to be in the Bargate Exhibition, mainly because I could not see the relevance of his talk to us as illustrators or as students working on our FMP. It was less about teaching and more of a man presenting one of his projects.

scan of my sketch book, including a small drawing Ingman himself




Scan from my original PD
Before and After photographs of my Negotiated Study poster (left) and my Bargate Exhbition piece (right)

 We have been told that our private view for the Bargate Exhibition will be at 18:00 on Monday, where we are also expected to set things up. I was also reminded that I need to submit another proposal for my final major project.
Random doodle from my sketchbook

Upon reflection on my new Arthur Conan Doyle poster, I will agree with my tutors assessment that with the new 3rd layer of printing adds a lot to the image. The 3rd layer helps bring up the image, giving it a less flat feel. And helping to give the image a bit more life and a more "painterly feel" - Peter Lloyd. This is something I will have to remember for my FMP, depending on the complexity, style and colours of the image... and of course depending on how much time I have left when the designs are done. I do love working in the print room when it isn't too crowded. But waiting for the screens to dry is a boring task... especially since they don't allow MP3 players in the print room.







No comments:

Post a Comment