Friday 4 May 2012

Science print

Today I spent the day in the print room, luckily not hung over from the Guitar Hero event last night, which to be honest was something I sort of had expected. Then again due to so low turnout it didn't last that long, and getting drunk would not have been a good idea. Anyway the print room was quite crowded today making it hard to work efficiently, always having to wait for the drying cabinet or for a screen press.
 My completed Science poster

I finished printing at around 15:00 and having brought my war poster I was able to compare the two side by side. Keep in mind that these prints are the tests, and due to the untrimmed nature of the drafting film have not been aligned properly. However it did show the basic idea of my FMP where all 6 posters will align into one large image.

My science and war poster

The posters were deliberately done with different background colours, as this helps me choose the final colour when it all comes together, when I do the test prints in the future I will carry on with different colours.

While in the Printroom I was able to have an unofficial feedback session with Peter and Charles Shearer. They both enjoyed the concept behind the poster and the designs on them. Charles did mention that when designing the peace poster to make it very orderly, to emphasize the contrast between it and the war one (I will keep this in mind, but it will depend on how well it allows intigration with its surrounding posters). He also stated that the red on the war poster was much to dark and when combined with the black overshadowed the white, leaving the image unbalanced. He advised me to try a lighter colour, perhaps using a different colour than black and finally to experiment on different paper. Next time I will try printing the next poster on many different typers of paper to test the effect. Peter Lloyd made the same comments as Charles in terms of the War poster to do with the colour. He did inspire me to have the opposite of the science one being theology instead of a the more vauge beliefs one I had planned. I did however express my concern that I would not touch religion just to make sure it did not offend anyone. An angry external examier/public is not something I want to deal with come degree show time. I did feel that both tutors comments were fair and it left me feeling satisfied that I was able to get some positive and helpful, something I feel I have not had in a long time.

Today was a productive day, I took the evening off, playing video games enjoying the satisfaction of being almost halfway done. I cannot let myself get too comfortable though as I still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment