Friday 11 May 2012

Derek tutorial - industry print

Today I had my final group tutorial ever. My original one was scheduled for Thursday, but since it would have been with Peter Lloyd who saw my work last week I persuaded him to change it to Derek Rodgers one on Friday, something Pete thought was a good idea as Derek has not seen my work in a long time. I spent my morning in the print room printing my Industry poster, which did not go too well. Not only was the print room so crowded that my work was slowed down significantly, so much so that I missed a talk Derek was giving about his experiences after graduating, but the print came out badly as well. I suspect it was because whom ever had used the screen before me had left quite a bit of ink to dry without cleaning it properly. Unfortunately good silk screens are hard to come by these days as many Illustration and Graphics students have claimed them for themselves. The only good point was that I was able to get 3 posters ready for Derek at 14:00.

Bad print of my Industry poster

Derek's meeting was moved to 15:00 due to his previous lecture running late. His meeting consisted of myself, Lucy and Claudia. A low turnout for the very last group WIP, it was weird as many of the previous WIPs in the week were badly attended and I figured that many would show up for this the last one. It did mean Derek could give us more attention and that we did not have to spend too much time waiting for other peoples talks. I showed Derek the 3 posters I had so far, lined up as they would be for the final hanging, see below:

My science, war and industry poster

Derek was very enthusiastic about the work, his only negative comments being the seemingly lack of background in the industry poster (due to bad print) and the dark colours of the war poster. He said he enjoyed the evidence of development since my last posters (this - Fig. 3 and this - 1st poster on the left). I was surprised to note that he like the few quirky little jokes and figures I have added, the only times where I deviate from the researched material. I was pleased that while presenting it all 3 people present were able to quickly identify the themes of each poster, yet find it interesting enough that they will give it more than just a quick glance. Derek did not ask me why I only had 3 so far, something I was grateful for because tutors have asked me this a lot, and I don't like telling them about my messed up Easter (here) again and again and again. I left feeling rather pleased with myself as things seem to be going on track so far. I had that slight glimmer of hope and pride of achievement. Despite all the set backs I feel that I have reached almost the same level of work as a few of my peers (those few whose whole body of work I have seen). I went for a celebratory coffee with my two mates Lucy and Claudia and we spent a pleasant evening imagining what we would do once this was all over... sleep and video games were mentioned quite a few times.

I am glad that my final WIP of my year went well.

No comments:

Post a Comment