Friday 18 May 2012

Conclusion

I find it a bit strange to write a conclusion right now, as I have not technically finished the project. I am still missing two designs and I have only printed 4 of the designs, but only as tests.


 
Partialially completed FMP, click on the image to make it larger.

This is only a rough picture of what my FMP will look like, however imagine the line work being black or a dark grey. The background designs will only be one colour, and at the moment based on my experience with the tests I am leaning towards the pale blue/green of the science poster. It is a bit surreal and disappointing to be concluding the presentation document, without having a real FMP to show.

As far as this whole journey has gone so far I feel  that it has been really topsy turvey. The project started of with my attention being on the Bargate Exhibition (here) and our self promotion project (here). I was a bit slow on choosing my topic. But once I had chosen to create a series of posters all relating to human creations I felt positive and keen to get going. Late on I had to refine my plan of creating 10 A1 posters to 6 instead, due to time constraints. The fact that I lost about 4 weeks to sickness and family problems over Easter really put me in a tight spot. It frustrated me deeply that for this my final major project I was unable to devote my full attention. When I got sick just before Easter and was so lucid from all the medication I was on I swore to myself that I would work diligently over Easter to catch up. I had not planned on my family phoning my up to say that my grandmother was dying and that her psychotic oldest daughter was causing problems for everyone. Once I got back and got into work mode I have enjoyed myself. The act of creation and seeing the final outcomes (even if it only was the prints) has been incredibly satisfying, and in the process of me playing catch up I feel I have gained a better understanding of my limits and how to push time.

The many guest speakers we have had have been very informative (especially ones such as Fig Taylor from the Association of Illustrators) (here)  and helped me gain a better upstanding of where I could fit into the industry once I leave university. Others have proven to be less helpful such as John Hegely's (here), though very interesting and entertaining. Ultimately the talks aside from the tutors practical advise to do with the course and degree show have to me proven to be a bit of a distracting. That is to say that I would still go if I could do this all over, I just remember thing it was a bit strange we had so many in such a busy period of work.

To me the presentation document was always a trek uphill. Having first decided to do a blog, abandon it shortly afterwards, then create a book and finally going back to a blog I feel that it has been a very varied journey. While I was angry that I had to redo my book, I was happy that I could still incorporate elements of it into the blog. At the end of the day creating the blog was fun and once I got over my crippling fear of typing (joke) I thought it went rather well. The PD has helped me structure my thoughts more coherently, and give me a better overview of my goings on. The most helpful element it gave to me was the ability to look back and reflect on how much time it has taken me to do a certain body of work, which in turn has helped me plan my future work much more accurately.

and to keep you interested have some uplifting music :)

 
Tijuana Taxi

What I plan to do now in terms of FMP is to continue creating the two remaining posters, get a quick test print of each. Once this is done I can go in and get the finals made and then it is just a question of hanging up the work. I am confident that I can get this done on time if I really work at it, like I have in the past 4 weeks, but I cannot state with certainty that it will come out how I am hoping it will (ah the mystery that is print making). If I pass this course I hope to go on to do a masters in Illustration. If I am able to do that, it opens up a world of new job oppertunities in Denmark, but also gives me another year to hone my skills. I dont feel ready to leave education just yet, soon, but not just yet. I was hoping to continue with the course here at Southampton Solent University, but unfortunately I have been told that they will not be offering a masters of illustration next year.

All in all I have had some good times with this projcet, John Hegley and his guitar Steve, to watching Derek on the turntables and all the random fun that happens in the studios. I will be sad once all this is over, but at the same time I am quite happy to leave all the stress behind. Once the FMP is done I can see myself keeping the blog going, but more for my own amusement and to act as a sort of visual diary beyong the scopes of my FMP.

No comments:

Post a Comment