Tuesday 6 March 2012

Self Promotion - Designing a box

Today, having no lessons planned (yay) I went to the library to borrow a few books on papercraft.
 I found the following to be helpful, containing templates of boxes and image examples:
      - "Paperwork: the potential of paper in graphic design". By Nancy Williams. 1993
      - "The packaging and design templates sourcebook". By Luke Herriot. 2007

Oddly enough the Luke Herriot book was only available in German at our library (begging the question why we have foreign language books there that are not related to the study of language. Which reminds me finding a Korean magazine when I was writing my dissertation and looking through the magazine archives), but since the book was filled with mainly picture templates instead of text this did not prove to be too troublesome. After some consultation I decided to draw one up for myself... This proved to be a bad idea as I forgot to incorporate a lid.

scan of my old PD book, and cutouts from my first box designs.

  The box design was refined using trial and error, printing and folding them from my own old printer on plain cartridge paper. A messy but fun process, experimenting with size and seeing plain paper turn into 3D. The boxes all came out structurally weak, due to the low quality of paper I was using. I think that if printed on more sturdy art paper from the photography department, this will solve all structure problems... though it will be harder to fold. I need to get the files off for printing soon as photography printing can take as much as a week.

While doing this I watched "SAS - the real story" on Channel 4 (channel 4 - SAS the real story), this was a move for me to try and think of some inspiration for my FMP war poster. I did not get anything of real use, but it was entertaining and made me remember to look for some Vietnam war images. It was a good show, very interesting to see how the SAS has developed from the second world war into the unit it is today.




No comments:

Post a Comment