Friday 9 March 2012

Guest Speaker - Charles Shearer


Today we had a talk with one of our resident printmakers Charles Shearer.

Photograph of Charles Shearer (displayhca.blogspot.co.uk)
Scan from my old PD book

Charles Shearer - "Bird Box Blue" (www.emmamason.co.uk)

I was able to get my prints from photography, though not only did it cost me and arm and a leg, it took some running about to track down Simon the printer. They came out well, though one of the images was ruined by the printer by ink discolouring... I will keep that one for myself.

Charles talk did hammer home the importance of fully dedicating oneself to ones work. Having known Charles for a number of years, he has explained to me how that when working (or in his case mostly printing) one must show the utmost attention to detail. In so many words Charles conveyed to me that the importance of being a successful illustrator is to fully dedicate oneself to ones work. This is something I will have to remember and do for my FMP.

Once I got home I began doing more research and getting compiling materials for two of my posters, that will be one science and war.

War:

I chose to get an image of the iconic ship Bismarck, in its day one of the worlds most feared and formidable battle ships. This was to get an element of naval warfare in the picture.
www.wrecksite.eu

F-16 - fighter aircraft, one of the worlds most built and used modern jet fighters, built in the 1970s.

A Titan class ICBM missile - the symbol of the superpowers nuclear arsenal. Something that even today plays a role in our psyche as a people.

wikimedia.org

The supremely British Spitfire - need I say more?
flightglobal.com

I also began compiling research for my science poster.

The first thing that sprung to mind was the Bohr atom model, something I felt the need to include
as it is one of the few recent very significant Danish contributions to science.

I then chose to add a steam train, which conveniently I had an old design of lying around from previous work.
my own work

The Hubble Telescope, a satellite sent into space in the 1990 allowing scientist to explore the universe to a greater degree than they previously had. The famous Pillars of Creation photograph (here) was taken with it.

wikipedia.org - Hublle Space Telescope

I copied down some basic physics equations from my old physics text book.

a strand of double helix DNA

lejeuneusa.org

I find that doing the research is a very tedious task. One which is not only boring but also something that I feel is slowing down my work significantly. If I could draw as I pleased I would surely be closer to the end by now. Then again the level of drawing would not be as good and the subject matter would be a lot weaker. I do understand the nessecity for the research I just find myself frustrated with the manotomy of doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment